The Neuroscience Institute hosts file shares for research labs and individual users. Request access by emailing your PI and Ryan Sleeth at firstname.lastname@example.org. After being granted access use the below guide to connect.
Connecting from a GSU Neuroscience Institute owned device? File shares are automatically mapped in Windows while a shortcut to them is placed in /Applications/Neuroscience File Server in Mac. Continue using the guide if you’re connecting from a personal device, equipment, or need to manually connect.
How to connect
- Have a GSU campus ID and password. If you need to verify yours works log in at campusid.gsu.edu
- (Optional) if off-campus you will first need to connect to the GSU Virtual Private Network (VPN). Download VPN clients or view the VPN guide. Once installed connect the client to “secureaccess.gsu.edu” and log in using your GSU campus ID and password.
- Open Windows File Explorer and right-click “This PC”; select Map network drive…
- For “Folder:” enter \\fs.ni.gsu.edu\your-share substituting your-share with your PI’s last name (for example: \\fs.ni.gsu.edu\Doe) and click Finish. User shares are accessed by entering \\fs.ni.gsu.edu\Users\yourGSUcampusID (for example: \\fs.ni.gsu.edu\Users\jdoe)
- When prompted to authenticate enter your user name as GSUAD\yourGSUcampusID and password (for example: GSUAD\jdoe). DO NOT check “Remember my credentials” as Window’s poor management of saved credentials can have your personal device incorrectly flagged as an attacker in the future when your password changes. Doing so can risk your Internet access campus-wide
- You should now be able to access your files from the Z: drive in File Explorer
(Optional) If you’re unable to connect open Windows Credential Manager and double-check that no credentials are saved for fs.ni.gsu.edu
- Open Finder and in the top menu bar click Go then select Connect to Server…
- For the address enter smb://fs.ni.gsu.edu/your-share substituting your-share with your PI’s last name (for example: \\fs.ni.gsu.edu\Doe) and click Connect
- When prompted to authenticate enter your user name as GSUAD\yourGSUcampusID (for example: GSUAD\jdoe) and password
- You should now be able to access your files on the left sidebar of Finder under Locations